Skip to main content
Official Injury Claim homepage

Making a claim

What can I claim for?

You are able to submit a claim for personal injury, vehicle damage, excess, medication/prescriptions, travel costs, treatment charges you have paid yourself, loss of earnings, out of pocket expenses and hire charges for a vehicle you have paid for yourself (you will not be able to claim for credit hire or credit repairs). You may be required to provide receipts.

Will I be able to claim for any losses now or request an advance payment?

You will be able to claim for any losses or request an advance payment after the compensator has accepted liability for your claim.

What if my injury is not a whiplash type injury?

You will be able to claim for all personal injury up to the value of £5,000.

What if I don’t have all of my information to hand/will I be able to produce further information at a later date?

Yes, you will be able to add further information at a later date. However please note that you will not be able to add or amend the claim form itself but rather further information can be uploaded via the document upload section or through the message service to the compensator.

What if I have not received a confirmation after submitting my claim/ how will I know you have received my claim?

You will receive an email confirming that your claim has been submitted. If you have not please log into your account and the green box on the landing page will confirm if your claim has been passed to a compensator. If this has not happened it is likely that we have not received your claim and you will need to submit this to us again.

What happen's if an insurer is not found?

If an insurer is not found your claim will be routed to the MIB to be considered under the Uninsured Drivers Agreement.

What is an ID&V check and why is this needed?

To ensure that we are accepting a claim from the correct party and to keep your data secure.

Why do you need my NI number?

To identify who you are and to ensure we are talking to the right perso

I don't have my NI number or I have lost my NI number, where can I find this?

You can find your National Insurance Number on your payslip, P60, tax return or letters about tax, pensions and benefits etc. If you do not have a national insurance number you can apply for one via or if you have lost your national insurance number you can request a new one via

What is CUE and why is this check done on me?

CUE is a central database of motor, home and personal injury/industrial illness incidents reported to insurance companies which may or may not have given rise to a claim. Information held on CUE is a powerful weapon in the fight against fraud. If you have any queries or concerns regarding information on CUE please contact the CUE team (


What if the compensator has not responded?

If a compensator has not responded, then you would need to contact them directly, their number can be found on the system.

How will I know my claim has been accepted by the compensator?

You will be provided with a notification via your preferred method of contact asking you to log in to your account. Within the green box you will be able to view the compensators decision.

Medical Questions

Do I have to pay for my medical examination and report?

The medical examination and report costs will be covered by the compensator. This includes if liability is found against you, if the claim settles on partial liability and if you withdraw your claim.

Why do I need to attend a medical?

You will need to attend a medical examination so your injuries can be assessed and examined. The compensator will then use the information provided in the report to form the basis of your offer.

Why can I not ask my GP to write a medical report for me/can I provide my own medical report?

You will not be able to ask your GP or provide your own medical report as the report will need to be provided by an independent medical expert.

If I have been to see my doctor or to the A&E can I provide this information and the reports as evidence?

Yes, you can upload this information on to the system. You will also be required to see a medical expert for a further examination.

Will the medical examiner ask for my GP records?

This is dependant on a case by case basis, the independent medical expert may need your GP records to make an accurate assessment of your injuries.

What happens during a typical medical examination?

During a typical medical examination a medical expert will access your injuries, they may ask you to carry out stretches or other exercises and will speak to you regarding your accident.

Can I choose the medical expert conducting the examination?

Yes, you will be able to choose a medical expert of your choice from the list provided.

What if I cannot make or miss the medical appointment?

If you can't make a medical appointment you will need to contact the medical agency or DME directly.

Can I set my medical preference from another address rather than my home address?

Yes you will be able to set your medical preference from another address. For example your work address.

How will I receive my appointment details?

You will receive your appointment details by either telephone, email or in writing.

How do I contact the medical agency/obtain their details?

You will be able to contact your medical agency via the details they have provided (this will be dependant on what you have selected).

Who arranges the medical examination if I am referred to another expert?

The compensator will arrange further medical examinations.

What if I wish to obtain an additional medical report?

You can only obtain additional medical reports if it has been recommended by the initial medical expert.

You can only obtain additional medical reports if it has been recommended by the initial medical expert.

You can only obtain additional medical reports if it has been recommended by the initial medical expert.

What if I don't understand something in my medical report?

You will need to seek independent advice or speak to the compensator.

What do I need to attend a medical examination?

You will need to bring two forms of ID with you. For example a current signed passport, original birth certificate, current UK or EEA photocard driving licence, Photographic registration cards for self-employed individuals in the construction industry -CIS4 etc.

What is a ‘prognosis’?

A prognosis is the length of time a medical expert feels your injuries are likely to last.

What is ‘await prognosis’?

A prognosis is the length of time a medical expert feels your injuries are likely to last, you can await this this length of time or accept the offer which has been made to you by the compensator to settle your claim before this time has elapsed.

Other Questions

How do I make a complaint?

If you have a complaint regarding you’re the compensator please contact them directly. If you are unhappy with the service we have provided then please contact us on (insert email/telephone number). We will do our best to resolve any of your concerns.

Will I receive alerts or updates on the claim?

Yes, you will receive updates via your chosen method of contact.

Is the process available in Welsh (or another language)?

Yes, please contact us on (insert contact details) and let us know if you require us to communicate with you in a different language.

Can I delete the claim?

You cannot delete a claim from the system. However, if you no longer wish to continue with your claim then you can withdraw your claim process.

Does the service cost me anything to use?

No, the service is free to use.

Can my details be removed in line with GDPR?

You can request for your details to be removed by contacting MIB.  Each request will be considered on a case by case basis, and you will receive a response from MIB either confirming that your details have been removed, or with an explanation as to why MIB are unable to remove the requested details in line with data protection law.  In some instances MIB may also need to contact you to request further information to enable the request to be fully considered.

Why are the MIB responding to my data subject access requests (DSARs)?

The MoJ has instructed MIB to manage the delivery of the Whiplash service. The Motor Insurers’ Bureau provide several different services to the public, Insurance Industry and other organisations. As such, we hold and process various sets of data which can be requested by an individual under GDPR where it relates to them.

Is the process secure?

Yes, we ensure your details are secure and kept in accordance with relevant legislation. [The Service] will not sell your information on or cold call you asking you to make a claim.

How can I amend incorrect details after a claim has been submitted?

Once the claim form has been submitted accident details can not be amended. You will need to resubmit your claim form with the correct information. You will however be able to update personal

Can I contact the compensator directly?

Yes, you can contact the compensator directly, contact details will be available on the system once the claim has been submitted.